Making Rights Real was thrilled to recently host a parliamentary reception celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights along with Just Rights Scotland, Amnesty Scotland and the Human Rights Consortium Scotland.
It was great to bring together human rights defenders from some of our fantastic projects so we could all celebrate the work we are doing to advance human rights in our ‘small places close to home’. And didn’t Charlie and Isabel from Fa’side Women and Girls Group do amazingly well in their passionate call for action on women and girls’ rights?
Photos from the event
We discussed how important everyday human rights are for all of us in the UK – and our speakers highlighted the opportunity to make rights real for more people in Scotland through introduction of a new Scottish Human Rights Bill (SHRB), calling on the Scottish Government to ensure all our rights are enshrined in law, to the fullest possible extent within devolved competence.
We wanted to share a list of useful resources and recaps here, including photos from the day, recorded speeches, and related content.
· Video clip from Scottish Parliament’s debate on 75th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (including us being told to be quiet from the Presiding Officer – at 17:07:37). Oops! Yikes!
Here are some more of our recent highlights from Making Rights Real:
- East Lothian Women’s Survey with Fa’side Women and Girls Group and Scottish Women’s Budget Group
- Perth Travellers’ Human Rights Monitoring Report
- Hannah’s reflections on being a student with us
- A review of our human rights drama SEVEN
Thanks again for being on a human rights journey alongside Making Rights Real and for making our event a success! It’s a joy and a privilege to work alongside you.
Looking forward to more shenanigans in 2024!